India’s first Engineless train is set to hit tracks on Oct 29. The locomotive is manufactured in Chennai integral coach factory. It will replace Shatabdi express. Here are few exciting details about the train.
1. Train 18 or T18 is driven by a self-propulsion module. It is capable of running at a speed of up to 160 kmph.
2. The swanky 16-coach train will cut travel time by 15 percent compared to the fastest Shatabdi Express.
3. The fully AC train is manufactured at 100crore is built in such a way that passengers can see the driver’s cabin.
4. The train is fitted with CCTV cameras and would have two executive compartments with 52 seats unlike regular coaches with 78 seats each.
5. Train 18 has diffused lighting, automatic doors and footsteps beside GPS-based Passenger Information System. The footstep slides outward when the train stops at a station so that passengers can climb and get down comfortably.